Regardless of size, many brands are unprepared. Beyond the obvious activities such as updating website content and generating notifications and emails to customers, a wait and see attitude often becomes the accepted crisis protocol. So what can businesses be doing to ensure they weather this storm and come out the other side of this experience with their business intact and their brand equity strong?
Based on the current trajectory of COVID-19 spread, it is not a matter of if but when this disease will impact your brand’s reputation. The time is now to act and consider your company's risk and appropriate response.
Answer these questions to get started:
- Have you thought about what your brand would do if an employee and/or customer contracted COVID-19?
- Even though you may have closed your office and/or field location(s), did you know that based on the incubation and shedding period of the virus, you'll still need to alert anyone who was potentially exposed to the infected person two or maybe three weeks prior from the first day of symptoms (not diagnosis)?
- What type of internal/external communication would you enact if a team member and/or customer was diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Is there a media spokesperson and/or protocol in place in case a reporter contacts the company?
- Is there a way your brand can show up and provide community support to mitigate COVID-19 spread?
About Archer Malmo
Archer Malmo, with offices in Memphis, Tennessee, and Austin, Texas, combines brand thinking, data and technology to help growing brands adapt to the digital and creative complexities of today. Since 1952, we’ve continually evolved to changes in the industry, helping level the competitive playing field for midsize companies. The agency’s combination of discipline specialists, strategic orientation, creativity and culture yields strong client relationships and business results. With more than 150 people, Archer Malmo is one of the oldest independent agencies in the U.S. and has been recognized by Advertising Age and others as a “Best Place to Work” and has been named to the “Inc. 5000” list of fastest-growing private companies in America for five consecutive years.